Merchant of the Month
July Merchant of the Month
Madison Area YMCA
The Madison Chamber of Commerce has selected the Madison Area YMCA as the winner of the Merchant of the Month award for July.
According to its mission, the Madison Area YMCA is a cause-driven charitable organization dedicated to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Y is inclusive of all people and offers programs and services that develop a healthy spirit, mind and body, and promote the Y core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
“Our Y is pleased to have served this wonderful and vibrant community for more than 140 years. As a cause-driven charitable organization, all are invited to be enriched by the Y, regardless of income or background,”said Diane Mann, Madison Area YMCA President & CEO.
Founded in 1873, the Madison Area YMCA serves the community from two facilities in Madison, the Family Center at 111 Kings Road and the F.M. Kirby Children’s Center at 54 East Street. The Y also serves the community at its Project Community Pride of the Madison Area YMCA office.
At the Family Center, the Y offers a range of youth sports, swimming, gymnastics, performing arts, youth leadership programs, enrichment classes and summer day camp as well as extensive workout facilities. The Family center is home to a travel basketball team, travel soccer teams and competitive swimming and gymnastics teams.
Enriching community wellness and health-enhancing programs are available to all in the community. Programs include: LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, a no-fee cancer survivors’program; Diabetes Prevention Program, a “lifestyle change”program that helps adults at high risk for developing Type 2 diabetes reduce their risk by taking steps that will improve their overall health and well-being; EnhanceFitness, an arthritis management program for active older adults that combines strength training, flexibility and cardiovascular conditioning; and Partners In Prevention, a community-wide child sexual abuse prevention program.
Additional programs include: The Community Mental Health Initiative, a program that focuses on reducing stigma associated with mental illness and addressing barriers to mental health care by increasing knowledge and equipping lay mental health supporters with skills to increase help-offering behaviors including training in Mental Health First Aid; and Project Community Pride of the Madison Area YMCA, a local youth counseling program, which serves children and their families in the Chathams, Florham Park and Madison.
Across town at the F.M. Kirby Children’s Center, the Y offers quality childcare, early childhood education and summer day camps. One of the largest early childhood education centers in the area, the Kirby Center offers programs and care for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, Young 5 students and kindergartners as well as Before- and After-School Care and a Kindergarten Wraparound program.
Programming at the Kirby facility also includes Talking Tots, a half-day toddler program with an intensive focus on speech and language acquisition and development taught by a specially trained teaching team under the direction of a licensed speech and language pathologist.
Initially serving as an elementary school, the Kirby Center is specifically designed for young children. The center has a full-size gym, a full kitchen that serves snacks and meals developed by a staff nutritionist, a registered nurse on staff and five state-of-the-art playgrounds to serve all age groups.
The Kirby center is a member of the New Jersey YMCA State Alliance and a participating partner in the Horizon Foundation for New Jersey’s Healthy U program that teaches children the importance of physical activity and healthful nutrition. Financial assistance may be available for eligible families.
The Merchant of the Month Award recognizes businesses for their contributions to keeping the Madison business district inviting and prosperous through the upkeep and design of their properties. The award program is administered by the Chamber and the Madison Downtown Development Commission. They alternate selections monthly.
At the Madison Area YMCA, all are welcome to be enriched by Y membership and programming, regardless of ability to pay. Generous donations through the Y’s Annual Fund make it possible for everyone in the community to experience the Y.
Each year, the Madison Area YMCA’s holds an Annual Campaign to raise awareness and funds for Y financial assistance that enables hundreds of children and families to participate in Y membership, programs, services and camps at the Family Center and childcare, early childhood education and summer camps at its F.M. Kirby Children’s Center.
The six to eight week Annual Campaign that takes place during the winter, led by a group of more than 60 dedicated volunteer campaigners, is one of the ways that allows the Madison Area YMCA to assist anyone who resides or works in the Madison, Chatham and Florham Park area. Support is provided based on demonstrated need, with the goal that no one be turned away from membership regarding income or background.
“We continually strive to offer the best resources for healthy living at the Y, including innovative health and wellness programs to help residents achieve their health and wellness goals,”said Mann. “The Y is a place to belong for life.”
The Madison Area YMCA is the seventy-sixth Madison organization to win the award. Winners receive an engraved blue brass plaque and the distinctive, blue Merchant of the Month banner that travels between stores. The entire list of winners since the establishment of the program in 2007 is posted at the Chamber’s website www.MadisonNJChamber.org.
The Madison Area YMCA can be reached at 973-377-4945 and the website is www.MadisonAreaYMCA.org.
The Madison Chamber of Commerce is a non-profit, independent business
league that was founded in 1943. The Chamber’s mission is to support and promote its dues-paying members and to enhance the economic well being of Madison. The Chamber has almost 180 member businesses and non-profits.
For additional information about the Chamber, contact 973-377-7830 or
Merchant of the Month Award Recipients:
- Gerlachs Jewelers - May 2007.
- Coviello's - July 2007.
- T&J Service Center, Inc. - Aug 2007.
- J.M. Egan - Sept 2007.
- Blush - Nov 2007.
- Traditional Okinawan Martial Arts - Dec 2007.
- Madison Car Wash & Detail Center - Jan 2008.
- Top Notch - Feb 2008.
- Statements - March 2008.
- Empire Szechuan - April 2008.
- Rose City Jewelers - May 2008.
- European Elegance - June 2008.
- Town & Country Home - July 2008.
- Main Street Submarines - Sept 2008.
- Madison Bicycle Shop - Oct 2008.
- Wild Things - Nov 2008.
- J&M Home & Garden - Dec 2008.
- Madison Honda - Feb 2009.
- Resto - April 2009.
- Hollenbach Family Chiropractic - May 2009.
- Museum of Early Trades & Crafts - Aug 2009.
- Rose City Collision - Nov 2009.
- Cramers Carpet One - Dec 2009.
- The Chocolate Rose Shoppe - March 2010.
- Hey Cupcake! - Nov 2010.
- Creighton Edward – Dec 2010.
- Tons of Toys – Jan 2011.
- Maison Décor – Feb 2011.
- d torr boutique – April 2011.
- Schnipper’s – May 2011.
- Doddlebugz – June 2011.
- Plaza Lanes – July 2011.
- Somerset Hills Bank – Oct 2011.
- The Provident Bank – Nov 2011.
- Takuma – Dec 2011.
- Starting Line Sports – Feb 2012.
- Gary’s Wine & Marketplace – March 2012.
- Drip Coffee – April 2012.
- DownTown Salon – May 2012.
- PC Problems - June 2012.
- Coccia Realty - July 2012
- Blue Ridge Mountain Sports - August 2012
- Upholstery Plus - September 2012
- Poor Herbie's - October 2012
- Hair We Are - November 2012
- Madison Vaccum - December 2012
- The Blue Purl - January 2013
- The Nautilus Diner - February 2013
- Hilltop Community Bank - March 2013
- Salvatore Minardi Salon - April 2013
- Main Street Wine Cellars - May 2013
- Prima - June 2013
- July 2013
- August 2013
- Sprouts Consignment - September 2013
- Honor Tree Service - October 2013
- Madison Pet Shop - November 2013
- Erezuma Architect - December 2013
- San Francisco Mercantile - January 2014
- La Rosa Chicken & Grill - February 2014
- Madison Pharmacy - April 2014
- Madison Mane Salon - May 2014
- Rob's Bistro - June 2014
- Odell & Critchley - July 2014
- Dental Office of Dr. Allison Adams - August 2014
- La La Land - September 2014
- Wireless Zone - October 2014
- November 2014
- December 2014
- Waverly TV- January 2015
- Wireless Zone- February 2015
- Investors Bank- March 2015
- Blue Wasabi- April 2015
- Stewart-Morris, Awards, Gifts & Flags- May 2015
- Tons of Toys- June 201
- Madison Area YMCA- July 2015